Engineering For Kids brings Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), to kids ages 4 to 14 in a fun and challenging way through classes, camps, clubs, workshops, in-school field trips, and parties. We are proud to inspire children to build on their natural curiosity by teaching engineering concepts through hands-on learning. The quality and diversity of our programs paired with the passion and talent of our instructors positions us as an educational enrichment leader.
Are you VIPS cleared this year? Do it today!
In order to teach, intern, or volunteer at any HISD school, at a minimum, you must be registered and cleared annually with HISD's Volunteer in Public Schools (VIPS) system.
CLICK here for details from HISD: 2016-2017 VIPS Registration & Annual Criminal Background Check Procedures
Online Application: Flexible, Part-Time Teacher/Coach Position
Part-time Lead and Co-Lead Teachers Job Description
Classes are student-directed and your role as the Teacher/Coach is to provide direct instruction when necessary, but majority of your time is spent coaching students in their inquiry. Lesson plans, supplies, training, and support are provided.
What this role does NOT entail:
- This IS NOT a baby-sitting job...
or a watch-a-bunch-of-kids-play-job...
or an entertain-kids-for-an-hour-job. (not that there's anything wrong with that! That is just not what WE do!)
What this role DOES entail:
- A true teaching opportunity, using inquiry and project based teaching methods with your class of students!
- Respect for your preferences! Shifts are assigned by employee preference (location and days).
Mileage reimbursement may be available.
Do I qualify for this role?
- You don't need a background in engineering, as these are basic concepts that we are exposing this age group to.
- You don't need a teacher's certificate, although classroom management skills are required.
- Classroom management skills
- Experience working with groups of children
- Up-beat, child-friendly personality
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Flexibility and dependability
- Prior experience as an educator, trainer, engineer or completing a degree in the education, psychology, communications or engineering field
- Have a dependable vehicle to drive to various locations throughout the Greater Houston area
- Have a valid driver's license and current proof of auto insurance
- CPR/First Aid certified
- Proof of negative TB results
- Clean local and national background checks
- Authorized to work in the United States (we do not sponsor H1-B visas)
- Looking for very part-time work - these are one hour classes during the school year
- Able to work a minimum of the same 2 classes per week within the after school time window (1:30PM-5:30PM) over 10-17 weeks at a time
Example School Year schedule (minimum commitment):
- Fall Semester: September thru 2nd week of December:
Every Tuesday (School A) 3:00PM-4:00PM and
Every Wednesday (School B) 1:30PM-2:30PM
- Commensurate with experience and certifications; ranges between:
- $12-$40 per class during the after school programs.
Expect at most 2 to 7 classes/week this semester.
- $8-$14 per hour during the camp programs.
PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF YOU EXPECT MORE HOURS.
Expect 15 to 35 paid hours/week during the camp programs (winter, spring, summer camps).
Apply online only if you are serious and can commit your time to the same group of students for 10 to 17 weeks during the school year OR 2 to 3 weeks during the summer.